Grapes have loads of medicinal and nutritional values. For 6000 years now, they have been used in wine making. It is not only the grape fruit which contains powerful anti-bacterial properties, the leaves and vines are loaded as well. It is for this reason that Europeans used it as an ointment to treat skin and eye diseases. The extract from grape seed is a food supplement taken from the skin and seeds of red grapes. The extract has linoleic acid, flavonoids and vitamin E. It also contains compounds termed as procyanidins which is believed to be the concentrated source of oligomeric proanthocyanidins or OPC.
Advantages of Grape Seed Extract
• Antioxidant properties: It is the wine which keeps a lot of people healthy. A glass of wine per day is already considered a healthy supplement by lots of medical practitioners. The antioxidants contain in the extract called proanthocyanidins are almost 20 to 50 times more potent than vitamins C and E for the inhibition of free radicals. Free radicals are the primary causes of cancer and aging of the skin.
• Circulatory and Vascular Diseases: Intake of grape seed extract done on a regular basis can increase as well as promote better circulation of the blood. It has proven to be very useful for people who have atherosclerosis, leg cramps, varicose veins and more. It assists in improving the overall blood flow in the body.
• Heart Diseases: Since it improves the flow of blood, it can aid the heart in its pumping mechanism which reduces the risk of blood clots and also obstructions in the blood vessels. The possibility of stroke is reduced as it inhibits the development of high cholesterol and plaque.
• Diabetes: Due to the presence of antioxidants in the grape seed extract, it is useful for diabetic patients as it lowers their blood sugar. Those who have complications associated with diabetes such as retinopathy which is a primary cause of blindness and nerve death will experience faster healing when the extract is consumed by mouth. Internally, the extract will also help in healing inflammation.
• Fights Against Skin Sagging: The compound procyanidins which is present in grape seed extract keeps the collagen tightly together. Collagen is an essential protein seen in the body for the purpose of good health of the body tissues, skin, teeth, hair, bones and gums. Health of cells as well as elasticity of the skin are promoted due to the bonding quality of procyanidins.
• Several Other Advantages – Aside from the benefits which are mentioned above, grape seeds have a lot of other benefits. Due to their anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties, they help decrease the production of inflammatory compounds which will result to allergic reactions in the body such as hay fever and skin disorders like psoriasis and eczema. Plenty of doctors like regular doses of the extract better than antihistamines since the former will not cause any side effects as the latter do. If grape seed extract is taken on a regular basis, it is assumed to be useful in the damage control of brain cells primarily due to free radicals. It prevents the progression of the degeneration of muscles as well as cataracts. Furthermore, it helps in healing and preventing gum cavities. At present, numerous studies are being done to comprehend how grape seed extract can aid in the prevention of various degenerative diseases, liver cirrhosis and cancer.