Athletes are likely to use a lot of Lysine tablets to augment the production of essential proteins in the body. What they are not familiar with is the negative effects which can happen in case of an overdose of this essential amino acid.
• An overdose can cause several serious allergic reactions for some people. In some cases, the unfavorable effects of this nutritional supplement can be severe. Some of the intense symptoms which have been observed in people who used excess supplements that contain lysine include closing of throat, swelling of the face, tongue and lips as well as difficulty in breathing.
•Take note that supplements must not be used with no prescription from a physician or a medical specialist. This is particularly a warning for those who are already using antibiotics such as tobramycin, gentamicin, streptomycin, amikacin, neomycin, kanamycin and netilmicin. These drugs on reaction with lysine supplements could be a dangerous combination with adverse effects on the user.
• The Food and Drug Administration of the United States has not approved lysine supplement in treating any kind of disease or ailment. Therefore, this should not be an alternative for prescription medicines. The primary reason for FDA’s declaration is that the possible risks and side effects of this supplement with numerous medications are still under investigation and are not very known yet. Those who suffer from numerous side effects of lysine can report to FDA at this number 1-800-FDA-1088.
• One of the main reasons that indicate the latent side effects of the supplements is that a lot of marketed herbal supplements which contain this amino acid have been discovered to be contaminated with heavy metals and drugs harmful to the health. In addition, these supplements do not have manufacturing standards which are regulated. An overdose of Lysine will cause life-threatening condition. In case you encounter any case similar to that, contact an emergency room or a poison control center for treatment at once.
• People who suffer from ailments that concern the kidney, liver or heart and also from allergic reactions are sternly advised not to use lysine supplements. Its effects on pregnancy and nursing babies are not yet known. Therefore, women who are pregnant may only opt for this medication according to the advice and prescription of the doctor.
• Excessive consumption has exhibited significant increase in levels of bad cholesterol, hardening of the arteries and hindering the circulation of blood. Insufficient blood supply to the heart can result to heart attacks, stroke and other problems with the cardiovascular system. Moreover, this supplement has resulted to diarrhea, gallstones and stomach cramps. Increase in bad cholesterol levels may cause a lot of cardiovascular and respiratory ailments. It is wise to seek consult with a health care provider before treating yourself with such medications according to your personal assumptions.